Thursday, May 1

Carrot Cake


Ever since I tasted Carrot Cake at the cafe where I work part time, I was hooked ever since. Whenever the chefs brought out a fresh, warm Carrot Cake from the oven, I would longingly wish to cut a piece for myself. However, if I did do that, I would be 200lbs and there'd be no cake left for the customers! So, over the weekend whilst Ben was busy doing work, I whipped up my first Carrot Cake, with a pot of steaming Earl Grey and arranged the garden furniture; I know, I am becoming quite the domestic goddess! It wasn't too long before Harry was imitating my longing face I do at the Cafe, wishing he could sit with us and enjoy afternoon tea. But let's get onto the magic that is the icing, this was delicious to say the least and the Ginger Buttercream Icing accompanied the Carrot Cake perfectly. I think Ben thought so too, as he indulged in a second slice. Definitely a cake worth making and find out how to below! (Oh, and by the way, I can take no credit for this recipe, it's all due to the ever so amazing BBC Good Food 101 Cakes and Bakes cookbook).

Ingredients:

The Carrot Cake:

175g/6oz light muscovado sugar
175ml/6fl oz sunflower oil
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
140g/5oz  grated carrot (about 3 medium carrots)
100g/4oz raisins
grated zest of 1 large orange
175g/6oz self-raising flower
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg (freshly grated will give you the best flavour)

The Ginger Spiced Buttercream Icing:

140g of butter, softened (a generous 1/2 cup or 5 ounces)
280g of sifted icing sugar (2 cups)
1 TBS milk
1 TBS syrup from a jar of preserved ginger
(alternately you can use 2 TBS milk and 1/2 tsp ground ginger)

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4/fan oven 160C. 
Oil and line the base and sides of an 18cm/7in square tin (or any tin/cake mold of your choice!)
Tip the sugar into a large mixing bowl, pour in the oil and add the eggs.
Lightly mix, then stir in the grated carrots, raisins and orange rind.
Mix the flour, soda and spices, then sift into the bowl. 
Lightly mix all the ingredients.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, until it feels firm and springy when you press in the centre. 
Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn it out, peel off the paper and cool on a wire rack.
To make the frosting beat all of the ingredients together until the mixture is creamy.   Spread this on top of the cake.  Serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your messages. Thank you xo