Wednesday, June 19

DIY Tea-Light Holders



I decided to make good use of my plain glass tea light holders, by decorating them with ceramic gold paint. I generally have a minor obsession with candles, especially with pretty ones; such as Jo Malone and Diptyque. However when I was on holiday last year I spotted some gorgeous hand painted and decorated tea light holders. Yet due to them being difficult to safely get back to Britain, I had to unfortunately leave them in Corfu ... but they've been on my mind ever since. To be honest, I think that there is something  really nice about having unbranded candles, because sometimes there is really nothing worse than a brand/logo over dominating your house. Also, it's just generally fun and more fulfilling to create/personalize your very own.

You will need:
Tea light holders/vases
Ceramic paint of your choice (mine was gold)
Paintbrush
Steady hand(!)

Firstly I decorated a tea light vase with dots of gold, doing a total of four lines of the dots, in a diagonal pattern. I began with the bottom layer, building my way up to the top.
I then did a vase with horizontal gold lines. Starting again at the bottom and building my way up.
Then for a modern, geometric style, I did zigzagged lines. I would say this way the trickiest.
Then leave them to dry upside down on a sheet of paper for a minimum of 24 hours.

16 comments:

  1. I love that you painted polka dots and chevron stripes! That's a really cute idea :)

    xo Azu

    www.raven-locks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow this is so so clever. I would have never know. This would make a lovely gift for someone too! Defiantly your newest fan!
    xx
    http://heroineinheels.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty DIY :*

    http://newlifewithfashion.blogspot.com/2013/06/487-20130618.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool! :)

    ♥ http://silentbustle.blogspot.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post I love your idea I will definitely try it!
    xoxo
    L.S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey love this diy Great idea thank you. by the way there is a rumor that gfc is dropping in July 1st 2013 all other bloggers are directing there followers to follow them by bloglovin. I started following you by bloglovin please follow back.
    http://tifi11@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done girl!

    xx
    FashionEvELand | FEEL

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so pretty, I love how wonderful they look with the flickering candle!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your messages. Thank you xo